Thursday, December 29, 2005

consuelo

Many people have asked me about the origin on my online name, consuehlo. To be honest, I once read a Richard Peck novel with a secondary character named Consuelo and decided that I liked the name. I'm sure the fact that she was long-haired, sophisticated, and gorgeous had no bearing on my decision. Friends unaware of this origan have come up with all sorts of ideas, as well as questions about why I chose a predominatly male name. I began to wonder if there were in fact no women named Consuelo, and Peck had just gotten it wrong... to my advantage, as opposing gender typfication is another activity I enjoy.

Well, tonight I came across a famous lady by the name of Consuelo Vanderbilt. According to a Wikipedia article, "Consuelo Vanderbilt (March 2, 1877 - December 6, 1964) was a member of the United States Vanderbilt family seen as the penultimate marital prize of the Victorian age and an international emblem for socially advantageous marriages." Wow, what a namesake. So much for my little battle.

No comments: