Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Doesn't this sound like an article out of an old DOS version of Sim City?

"WASHINGTON (AP) -- Families victimized by tainted spinach and peanut butter put a human face Tuesday on a recent string of high-profile outbreaks of foodborne illness..."

A better headline, and unexpected: House passes legislation to increase math and science teachers. For real?! I didn't know our legislators were educated enough to realize that this might be important. Perhaps my opinion was recently lowered when somebody told me recently that only about a third of legislators actually possess American passports. *shudder*

I also want to express my excitement about the ambitious and highly worthwhile local startup campaign Critical Brisk Stroll. The cry for help: "I am looking for volunteers to help me organize this event. I propose that we schedule and promote a brisk stroll from the Village Gate to a bar in the South Wedge, occuring at some point within the next month, starting at precisely 7 PM."

Although if pressed, I am likely to admit that I would gladly run any pedestrians off the pavement if I felt the need to cycle on the sidewalk.

2 comments:

Elvo said...

Yesterday, on a brisk stroll to my house, I saw little kids riding their little bikes on the street, on the sidewalk, across the square,... pretty much all over. I was about to mutter something about parents and responsability, but then I though: if these were my hypothetical kids, would I let them ride all over? Hell yeah! All urban areas and 'affordable housing' streets have a ridiculously low, bikers-will-pass-you-if-you're-not-careful speed limits. Kids aged 6 - 12 get traffic education at school, all year. With field trips and everything. Bikers always have a place on the streets. They're even allowed to go on the sidewalk if it's safer there! IIRC, the rule goes something like this: "If there is no bike lane, and the cyclist thinks it's safer, then he can go on the sidewalk for a limited distance." Like in between 2 traffic lights, for instance. Or next to a high-speed road with no bike lanes.

carillonista said...

That's legislated in some places in the US, but not in others, and in any case it's not included in traffic education so nobody knows. :(