Saturday, August 19, 2006

development hell

It's a real term, though not as colorful as Duivelskermis, which the Belgians use to describe the not infrequent sunshine rain that accosted me throughout the streets of Antwerpen yesterday. And development hell is where the movie based on Orson Scott Card's riveting (if awkwardly prosed) Ender's Game has been since I first started anticipating it in high school.

I wish I could be bothered to write down the tasks and goals that pass through my head when I'm practicing the carillon or organ. It's only at non-computer keyboards that I remember all the things I'm supposed to do (particularly at the computer) but haven't written down, because at those times, my mind is clearest/least cluttered and there's room for memory. At the computer, I forget things and am unable to write creatively because I expect the machine to think for me.

Just look at this blog entry. It took me five years to remind myself to check out the release date of a movie based on one of my favorite sci-fi novels.

5 comments:

Klaas said...

I saw the Duivelskermis in Antwerpen too, yesterday, as I was visiting the Tall Ships! Spectacular! Must be the only advantage of a monsoon-style August :-)

carillonista said...

I was out there biking through the harbour and tall ships on Sunday! But it was overcast the whole time it was raining, as far as I could tell. But maybe it was just because I was biking past lots of smokestacks giving off their own clouds. 8)

Klaas said...

Hehe, I was just thinking there was a fairly good chance of running into you - or getting run over by you :-p (btw wasn't it hard to get through the crowd by bike!?) Well, yeah, only by 6pm or so the sun came through for a little while and let the rain feel a bit warmer :-)

carillonista said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
carillonista said...

I was biking through the mostly deserted super-industrial harbour area! Mostly we enjoyed the tall ships from a distance. 8) But we did get up close for a bit, and they were really beautiful.