Wednesday, August 24, 2005

seen in elmcitycycling

"In Victoria, Canada, methamphetamine addicts were stealing large numbers of bicycles because disassembling the bikes soothes them while they tweak."
--Harper's Magazine review

Free Ride Mountain Bike Guide

By the way, my photography website is finally in a somewhat satisfactory state, although working on it somehow consistently had the effect of putting me to sleep: the urban cathedral [grandeur and decay]. will move to the server space i just bought on brinkster (now i'm really out in the 'real world') once i figure out how to do simple things like change permissions (grrr...)

Biked up Orange Street yesterday on a whim and had lunch at Nica's for the first time. Marjolane's was still outrageously closed, but the gelato place next door was open. I wandered with some gelato into Solo Statement and met the admirable and extroverted owner, Heather Solomon. Not the shy type--anyone who can draw me out of my shell like that is someone I should emulate (although how I can do that from within my shell is TBA). Play named her one of the 10 funkiest people in New Haven. I don't know what they meant by funky, but she's great by any standards. Speaking of fashion, I've suddenly developed a taste for the fall line at Lordz, an incredibly expensive boutique that has never appealed to me. Jacket and dresses to die for, all for just a couple weeks' salary or a carillon concert or two!

The Menu started a fun conversation with Andrew, who is a fellow food adventurer. We keep ending up at the same random places at similar times (i.e. Nica's and Weston). Having seen my beloved senior year roommates all take off, my summer roommates are all moving out too, and new faces are wandering the campus... and I'm still here! Not for long, though. Hopefully I can stay in New Haven up until my last day and finish the work that I should be doing...right...now...

Seen on the website of the Catholic University of Leuven: "Our Faculty is practically as old as the University itself."

No comments: