Monday, July 02, 2007

Tiffany

"Medieval form of THEOPHANIA. This name was traditionally given to girls born on the Epiphany (January 6), the festival commemorating the visit of the Magi to the infant Jesus."

So goes the description for the group "I am a Tiffany" on the college social networking site ConnectU, which I'd nearly forgotten about. This is new information to me; certainly not the history of the name given in my parents' old copy of What Shall We Name the Baby?. In that case, I have a new pseudonym. I also can no longer enjoy the great coincidence that one of the only words rhyming with my name is "ephiphany."

It's still funny that the two words that rhyme with Tiffany that I can remember right now, epiphany and antiphony, have religious connotations. This despite the fact that "-phony" is a false rhyme.

Sometimes I turn my head when someone says "timpani." Then I feel stupid.

No comments: