Sunday, September 17, 2006

haunted by bordieu

Somehow I ended up writing in my Fulbright CV about stuff I read in the equivalent of Sociology 101 Yale-style, taught by Joseph Soares, a professor with a powerful personality and unconcealed agenda for his students. Heaven knows my understanding of sociology is in no way advanced, but as I turn every corner and find more spectacular opportunities waiting to be seized, I can't help but wonder when I derailed off the track I should have been in with my Little Vis peers and instead ended up on the path of the privileged. Where I stand in Pierre Bordieu's fields I cannot say, but I know Yale put me pretty high up without my even realizing it. Just the other day, I finally figured out that I can talk to politicians and officials without feeling uncomfortable because Yale invited me to free fancy dinners with famous people and let me do business directly with university deans and secretaries. I took advantage of these opportunities for fun and ambition, but at no point did I realize the incredible level of social training I was inadvertently receiving.

Where am I in the field? An article about Harvard's bizarre move to end Early Action until it sees that other Ivies don't follow suit gives an idea: "At the most selective schools, a 2003 study found, 3 percent of students came from the poorest socio-economic quarter of families, while 74 percent came from the richest."

Nor was I aware that Soares is an exemplary follower of Bordieu's belief that "sociology is a combat sport"--presumably because he never metnioned that Bordieusque idea to us. It always seemed fitting to me that he would be the odd one out in an elitist institution like Yale. I just want to see him get tenure at Wake Forest or wherever he decides he can fight his fight.

No comments: